The mystery of the Nikon D500

The mystery is… Why is it so expensive?

I’d like to upgrade my D7000 to “something”, but it doesn’t look like the D500 is an option.  It’s good that Nikon finally have a replacement for the D300 but the D500 doesn’t seem to have the features to warrant the price.

There seems to be two main selling points in my eyes.

• 10 FPS shooting speed
  • EXPEED 5 image processor

The 10 FPS is great if you are into sports photography (which I am, but not to a level I would ever need 10 FPS).  The updated processor would probably be worth it because technology moves on, and hopefully I would see better results (Although I’m still amazed at what my D40 can produce).  I don’t shoot video either, so any improvements in that area would not be a clincher for me.

So £1729 for a processor upgrade is a lot of money. (And before you say, I will offset some of the cost by selling the D7000, a) I’m terrible at selling anything, b) I’m not convinced my D7000 works properly as I do seem to have the back auto-focus issue, so wouldn’t sell it).

The real problem I see is for off camera flash.  I use the pop up flash on my D7000, in commander mode to trigger my SB910.  Now, the infra red control is not necessarily the best, but it generally works.  The D500 doesn’t have a pop up flash, but uses radio instead.  Which means replacing the SB910 with something else… Ah yes, the £499 SB5000.  Half-a-thousand pounds for a Speedlight! (If the camera isn’t overpriced, the flash certainly is). A cheaper option would be the SU-800 but then I’m buying old, if not soon the be obsolete technology.

So until the D500 drops in price, then it’s really not an option.  I also read somewhere that they have delayed shipping, due to over demand.  Really???  If that’s true,why does over demand delay shipping?

So what’s the alternative.  Well I reckon a D750 body, which is a lot cheaper, and an 85mm 1.8, would do the job for me.  I like portraits so this would seem to be a good combination and I have a FFS to go with my DX sensor.

There’s also another option.  Abandon Nikon altogether and go a different route.  Maybe Fuji…. They seem to be making great cameras and lenses.

Only time, and my bank balance will tell.

6 thoughts on “The mystery of the Nikon D500

1. goingearthstyle February 28, 2016 / 3:44 pm

I’m actually really excited for the Nikon D500, but indeed it’s so expensive and a d750 is also a really great upgrade from my D7100, though I’m satisfied with the D7100 it’s just in my blood that I want the new stuff haha, but I’ll think I’ll wait for the D500 to drop in price, I don’t think it doesn’t take that long before it drops in price.

• cranburyatticphotography February 28, 2016 / 3:56 pm

Yes…we all want new stuff. That’s what my friend inferred when I bought my first DSLR. “That’s it…you are on the slippery slope to financial ruin!”, he said. I’m sure the D500 will drop in price, and then if I haven’t bought anything it the mean time, I’ll reconsider it.

• goingearthstyle February 28, 2016 / 4:03 pm

I’d like to stick with DX format because of the lenses I already have, If I bought a D750 then I’d have to buy new lenses too, which is (including the D750) totally outside my budget lol, since they’re not really cheap or anything haha. Till now I’m happy and satisfied with my D7100 🙂

• cranburyatticphotography February 28, 2016 / 6:06 pm

I agree about the lenses. Most of mine are DX lenses. It’s also a reason not to completely change to another brand, although if I did, I think I would be a lot more realistic about the lenses I really needed for what I want to do.

2. Dave February 29, 2016 / 3:32 am

Original price of the D300 was $2499 so for $500 cheaper you get higher resolution, higher frame rate, much higher usable ISO, better weather sealing, higher processor throughput, auto lens focus adjustment, increase DR, increase color depth, much better focus speed and more focus points… And the alternative to a D500 is the D7200 which is also the more appropriate upgrade from the D7000 than the D750.

• cranburyatticphotography February 29, 2016 / 8:56 pm

I just had a look at the dollar price of the D500, which looks like it roughly $2k, which at current exchange rates works out at about £1430 – which would seem a more realistic price to me. Most things are more expensive in the UK though.
      You’re right about the D7200 being the more appropriate upgrade. I’m not sure if it’s too close to the D7000 though. I guess I will keep researching… an changing my mind… and researching… and wondering what’ll be out next!